Skip to main content

Tashkent House Price Analysis


Recently  I've got an idea to analyze prices of houses in Tashkent city.
"www.zor.uz" is one of the most famous sites where people sell houses, cars, electronics and etc.
I had to crawl it and collect data from it.
Unfortunately, "www.zor.uz" does not have the old data, the latest data that  I found there was just one month old. They seem to clean their DB every month.

I needed data for previous years. So, I used "Way Back Machine" that has captured points of all website around the world. It is really a cool stuff to try : https://archive.org/index.php
But they use "https" so I had download their certificate and register it to my JRE.

I crawled that site and succeeded to get data starting from 2009.08 (that was the earliest capture point of www.zor.uz)
Interestingly "WayBackMachine" captures websites periodically, depending how often website changes. They have their own logic to capture sites for optimizing their storage.

Anyways, The data I crawled was from specific months of the year.
After crawling the data, for simplicity I just exported data to Excel sheet.
Then filtered data (removed duplicates, meaningless entities, spams, and zero values) and sorted by date.

Here is graph that displays price change for houses with 2 rooms:


You can see that average prices of 2-room houses during 2009.07 ~2014.08  raised from 30,000$ to 42,000$

By drawing the moving average we can identify when the prices was raising and falling:


Interestingly, houses prices raise during summer and it drops during the winter.
There can be more results can retrieved, but at the moment I am too busy with other projects, and will upload more stats later on.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three essential things to do while building Hadoop environment

Last year I setup Hadoop environment by using Cloudera manager. (Basically I followed this video tutorial :  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CobVqNMiqww ) I used CDH4(cloudera hadoop)  that included HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, ZooKeeper HBase, Flume and other essential components. It also included YARN (MapReduce 2) but it was not stable so I used MapReduce instead. I installed CDH4 on 10 centos nodes, and I set the Flume to collect twitter data, and by using "crontab" I scheduled the indexing the twitter data in Hive. Anyways, I want to share some of my experiences  and challenges that I faced. First, let me give some problem solutions that everyone must had faced while using Hadoop. 1. vm.swappiness warning on hadoop nodes It is easy to get rid of this warning by just simply running this shell command on nodes: >sysctl -w vm.swappiness=0 More details are written on cloudera's site 2. Make sure to synchronize time on all nodes (otherwise it will give error on n

NLP for Uzbek language

    Natural language processing is an essential tool for text mining in data analysis field. In this post, I want to share my approach in developing stemmer for Uzbek language.      Uzbek language is spoken by 27 million people  around the world and there are a lot of textual materials in internet in uzbek language and it is growing. As I was doing my weekend project " FlipUz " (which is news aggregator for Uzbek news sites) I stumbled on a problem of automatic tagging news into different categories. As this requires a good NLP library, I was not able to find one for Uzbek language. That is how I got a motive to develop a stemmer for Uzbek language.       In short,  Stemming  is an algorithm to remove meaningless suffixes at the end, thus showing the core part of the word. For example: rabbits -> rabbit. As Uzbek language is similar to Turkish, I was curious if there is stemmer for Turkish. And I found this: Turkish Stemmer with Snowball.  Their key approach was to u

NAT Traversal or how to make P2P on Android

Many of us used BitTorrent(or uTorrent) to download files on internet in a short time. Their download speed is high due to Peer-to-peer technology. That means, rather than downloading file from server, we are getting the file from another computer. But how two computers that have a local IP and are behind NAT, how they can connect each other? For that, NAT Traversal methodologies come for help. Note that there are mainly 2 types of NAT: Symmetrical(complex NATs:carrier-grade NAT) and Full (home network or small enterprises). let us consider Full NATs first. Methodologies of NAT traversal are: UPnP - old and hardware oriented method NAT-PMP (later succeeded by PCP)- introduced by Apple, also hardware oriented(i.e: not all routers have it, and even if it had, it is turned off by default) UDP Punching  - this is done by STUN which uses public server to discover NAT public IP & port TCP Punching -  similar to UDP punching but more complicated Symmetrical NATs are a big is